Friday, November 18, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday - Issue 1

Jen (Yes Another Jen!) over at Conversion Diary has been doing this 7 Quick Takes Friday for some time now and I really enjoy reading them so I figured I'd start making my own contribution no matter how small.

1. Dude seriously??! Seriously?!! Thanksgiving is next week? When did this happen? Thankfully our family has decided to go to Cracker Barrel for some Thanksgiving goodness. It's just going to be the four of us (plus Josephine, but she doesn't really eat much at this point!) and quite frankly the past few months have been a bit hectic for us so we have just decided to forgo the whole "Make a huge meal for just a few people" thing. Besides I'll need the rest . . .

2. Since I'm going to be a nut and do a few Black Friday forays this year. I've gone for the past couple of years and have gotten a few things. I usually bring my camera to document the craziness because I think it's an interesting glimpse into the human psyche aka "how people go NUTS over $20 DVD players!" If I can remember the flip I will post the video.

3. This next week Jun and I will be dropping off our Church's contribution to Operation Christmas Child. If you don't know what this is, it's a ministry that distributes shoe boxes filled with toys, toiletries, books, and all kinds of stuff for kids around the world who would not have a Christmas gift otherwise. More importantly they also share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It's a great charity and one that Jun and I have been doing for the past couple of years and will continue doing especially for Josephine so she understands the "giving" part of Christmas and not just the "getting".

4. I'm finishing up reading Anthony Bourdain's latest book Medium Raw: A bloody Valentine to the world of food and the people who cook. It's a pretty good read. You can tell he's grown up, gotten older, and settled down since his wild and wooly days of Kitchen Confidential. I especially like the chapter he wrote about becoming a father and his relationship with his daughter. He also, in typical Bourdain fashion, pulls no punches when talking about the current gastronomic climate in America as well as around the world. It's a little bit more long-winded in some parts and a bit heady on the name dropping (a lot of people I don't know) but hey, that's what he does.

5. Next up on my reading list is Ken Follet's new novel "Fall of Giants". Jun just finished reading it and assures me that it's spot on and that the character development is awesome (much like in his previous books). I've read his last two books "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" and I looooved them. They were the kind of books that quite frankly even though they were about as long as "War and Peace" you hated for them to end. The other great thing about the new book? It's going to be a trilogy. Keep up the good work Mr. Follett, historical fiction will be better for it.

6. I am notoriously gift impaired. I have a really HARD time figuring out what to get people and this Christmas season is no exception. I'm sitting here with a list of 11 people to buy for and I have only come up with what to get my Mom and my step-father Bill (who in the past have been my most difficult two to figure out, go figure!). If ideas don't start generating soon it's going to be a gift card-a-palooza. Again.

7. Random Kid Thing - Josephine has discovered her hands. She holds them up to her face with this look like "Holy crap! Where did these come from? Have I had these all along?!" Then she looks at me like, "Dude, can you believe this?! This is the most amazing thing ever Mom!" Well at least she'll be easy to shop for this Christmas, just get her some finger puppets or multi-colored mittens and she's set!

2 comments:

  1. Which Black Friday Event are you going to? Any Best Buys thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I was really only thinking of cruising over to the SuperTarget near our house and perhaps to the Super WalMart. I'm not touching Best Buy with a ten foot pole since last year there was MAJOR police presence and a rowdy crowd outside. I wanna live to see 32!

    ReplyDelete