Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Please allow myself . . . to introduce myself

After much hemming and hawing I have finally started this blog. I love reading blogs so I figured "Hey let's try this whole writing thing! I was after all an English minor! How hard could it be?"

Uh yeah. It's taken me 45 minutes and three attempts at that first sentence to start this infernal thing.

Moving right along.

My name is Jen. I was born in Orlando, Florida. I went to college in Tallahassee, Florida. I currently reside in Tampa, FL. I will most likely die in Florida. I'm OK with this. I like the temperature and can even stand the yearly hurricane drama. I like the palm trees and I like the beach, but mostly from a distance. I think it's hysterical that I have a vitamin D deficiency in the Sunshine state. This should tell you about how much time I spend outdoors.

I met my husband in 2000 at FSU, we married in 2004. He was an Art major and I was a Criminology major with aspirations of one day becoming an attorney. Then I worked for a few law offices. I quickly decided it was not the best career choice for me. Thank goodness I figured this out before making the $80,000.00 commitment.

Moving right along.

So how did we end up slinging raw fish? Good question.

The long and short of it is this: Jun's parent's had a Sushi Bar. They needed help and Jun couldn't find a job in his field, so he started working for them. At first it was part time. Then it became full time. Then he really started to enjoy it, so he just decided to stay on. I worked there part-time and worked a full time law office job for the first couple of years. We decided to bring me on full-time in 2005 when it became apparent that Jun was going to be doing this for the long-haul and it was nice to be around each other more than just a couple of hours a day. After all we DO kind of like one another, being married and all.

Now we have a baby daughter who is currently 10 weeks old. It's still kind of sinking in that I'm a mother and quite frankly it's pretty awesome. I've been around young children a good deal of my life since I'm the oldest of 6 and my first job was in daycare, but it really shocks me how much I adore this little creature that's come to live with us.

How did we come to faith? Another good question and one that I'll elaborate more on as the days go by but essentially in 2003 when Jun and I moved down to Tampa we were lost. Not in the geographical sense (although we have been known to be that way as well!) but we were lost in our lives. Jun grew up in a mostly quasi-Buddhist home and I had grown up in a Christian home but had since drifted away. We were for the most part without any religious moorings. We moved into his parent's home for a time and while Jun had been away in Tallahassee for 10 years his parents had gone from Buddhist to Baptist. Along with this transformation there was also the man who married us that strongly urged us to "seek out a relationship with Jesus Christ." Fast forward and we're now members of a thriving church, we help with the music ministry, and basically we are trying to be the people that God has called us to be. This is the one thing that I'm starting to understand a little bit better as I get older, faith is not a destination but is a journey that doesn't end.

It ain't easy.

However I will say it's worth it and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Well there you have it. My somewhat haphazard introduction to this thing I call life! Join me as I attempt to tell our story however messy, crazy, and joyous as it may be.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! Bob has her very own blog- I love it! And I'm your first follower. Should move me up your social calendar and secure a lunch date, soon- right? Seriously, looking forward to reading what you have to share. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete